Monday, September 16, 2024

Yummy Beginner Crochet Kit - Easy & Fun Crochet Project

I have to confess that crocheting has been a struggle for me over the years. My brain just can't seem to figure out how to crochet so it is a very big challenge for me when I pick it back up again to try for the millionth time! I still consider myself a beginner crocheter so tackling a new crochet project, especially for a beginner was something I was ready to try.


 

Crochet Kit

This super cute kit from Lion Brand Yarns & Ribblr (@yummyfriendsworld) just captured my attention and so of course I had to give it a try. 

For full disclosure I am an affiliate therefore if you purchase anything through the links provided I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I do want you to know that my opinions are my own and I promise to be honest with you as to how this kit went as I worked my way through the crochet pattern. I made plenty of mistakes but I learned so much and I'm really proud to show you the finished results. 

Before I get to the finished project let's walk through what is in this kit and what to expect if you choose to purchase your own kit. 

Lion Brand Yarns & Ribblr shipped the kit directly to me and I was very excited to open it up. I was happily surprised with the kit box which reminded me of a mini cardboard to go box - it is so cute!

These kits become available on September 16 so make sure to get your kit right away!  




The little box was stuffed with all kinds of goodies too.


Kit Supplies

Here is a list of all the supplies that came in this kit:

  • Brown yarn
  • black yarn
  • light pink yarn
  • dark pink yarn
  • small pair of scissors
  • darning needle & case
  • felt squares in a variety of colors
  • red mini pom pom
  • fiberfill stuffing
  • 3 stitch markers
  • plastic eyes
  • glue
  • crochet hook 4mm
  • plastic storage case with printed-on ruler

Local Grown

Lion Brand is Counting down to Christmas: 30% off Yarn/Kits when you use code 24CTC30 at checkout. Offer valid 9/27-9/29. 


Along with all of these supplies, the kit had a sticker sheet with the three cute little characters you can make for each individual kit, a QR code to scan to access the online video and written instructions, a collectible character card, and the GOLDEN TICKET CARD! The Golden Ticket card has a tag for socials which you can post and then claim a prize. How fun!

Get your kit HERE and crochet along with me! 

After I unboxed all the supplies I scanned the QR code which brought me to a site with the instructional videos and typed instructions for the project. Let me just say here that I have watched and tried to follow numerous how-to crochet videos over the years and I feel reasonably confident that I have found really good ones but the video from Ribblr was so far the best one I've watched. I went into this project pretty skeptical that this video series would successfully teach me how to crochet and I was pleasantly surprised that it did its job! I actually was able to follow along and understand the steps. Great job Ribblr! 

How To Crochet

The project starts off teaching how to chain, single crochet, and how to start a magic circle. Not going to lie but that magic circle with added stitches took me several tries. I finally got mine to look like the one in the video and I was so proud of myself. What is really cool about these online lessons is that the written portion includes very detailed instructions and then it also has the crochet pattern instructions so you can learn that as well to use on future projects. As you go along the program tracks your progress and crosses off what you complete so you can just easily jump back in where you left off too. 

The Yarn

Let's talk yarn for a quick second. In my past attempts to crochet, I tried a variety of yarns to help me catch on but the only thing that kept happening was my crochet hook getting stuck on frayed or pulled sections of yarn. 

The yarn in this kit is different! It is silky smooth kind of like a mix between thick embroidery floss and parachute cord but not as stiff. It is VERY easy to work with and VERY forgiving for a beginner. Thank you Lion Brand Yarns for putting this fabulous yarn in this kit. I think this made all the difference in my ability to successfully complete this project! 

Yummy Friends Crochet It Yourself Kit

Here is the start of my magic circle and how the cone portion of the project was progressing after a few rounds of single crochet and adding stitches. 


The ice cream top is coming along now! I have to admit that somewhere along the line I made a mistake on the cone and so my finished cone is different than the final project pictures on the box and instructions. I decided to use my mulligan at this point and just leave it rather than unravel the top and start over. I personally like how my version turned out and so that's all that matters, right?



Time to add the dripping chocolate sauce to the ice cream top! The colorful felt pieces became the chocolate sauce with sprinkles! The cherry on top is the little red pom pom. (sorry - I forgot to take pics of the sprinkles and cherry step but you can see it in the final pics at the end)



Now it was time to start on the cone part of the project with another magic circle! I think I got the hang of this now.



After the crocheting was done it was time to stuff the cone with the fiberfill stuffing. This kit came with plenty of stuffing! 



After the cone was stuffed I attached the ice cream top to the cone using the glue and for extra stability I added some stitches around the perimeter to keep it securely attached (always looking for a reason to sew something!)



Time to turn this cone into an axolotl with some side gills! I learned how to half double crochet for this step and I think I did a good job with this new stitch. 



Here is where I went a little rogue with the project instructions. See that frilly layer of dark pink between the cone and the ice cream? Yeah, that is what I did to "cover up" my mistake with the ice cream. I crocheted two rows of single crochet until it was long enough to go around the cone then I stitched it onto the ice cream just above the cone. 


Here is the finished Ice Cream Azolotl Ari - Complete with sprinkles and a cherry on top! He is so cute and my kids just love it. I'm proud of my attempt at this project and I really think the key to it turning out as good as it did was the fabulous instructions from Ribblr. 



Crochet It Yourself Kits

These crochet it yourself kits consist of three options - Ice Cream Axolotl Ari, Cookie Turtle Tim, and Boba Cow Charlie. I highly recommend you check them all out and pick the one (or all) you want to make. These kits are perfect for older children and adults who want to learn how to crochet something fun other than just making a wash cloth. I think they would also make a great Christmas or birthday gift to give to that crafty someone in your life too. 

Thank you Lion Brand Yarns and Ribblr for this really fun and unique crafting opportunity. 

Cover Story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated! Thanks for your suggestions, questions and feedback.