Wednesday, July 14, 2021

How To Make A Yarn Wrapped Hoop Wall Hanging

During the pandemic, a lot of people, including me, focused on ways to update their homes. The first project I tackled was repainting our basement playroom. Our long-term goal was to turn the playroom into a family room where we could all watch movies together or play foosball together. 

Once the room was painted and new furniture (bye, bye futon!) arranged it was time to figure out what to hang on the walls. After scouring Pinterest for inspiration I came to the conclusion that: 

  1. The wall hangings I liked were WAY out of my price range and 
  2. If I wanted decorations like the ones I found online I was going to have to make it myself!  




This post was written in partnership with Zulily. For more great posts click here including 5 DIY Woodworking Projects To Tackle This Summer.


Before I show you how I made my yarn-wrapped wall hanging let me share where I got my inspiration from (thank you Pinterest!)


via: Etsy


via: Etsy

Can you see a pattern here-  Circles Shapes + Yarn. 

In our updated family room, there is a narrow wall on the left-hand side when you walk into the room that I thought would be a great place to hang a circular yarn-type decoration. All I had to do now was make it!  




I am very happy with how my end project turned out and wanted to share with you how I made it in a step-by-step tutorial.

Supplies:

8 - 8" wood embroidery hoops (here are the ones I purchased)
several skeins of chunky yarn in colors you like
hot glue & hot glue gun
wood stain (optional)


Step-by-Step Instructions:

  • Separate the inner circle of each embroidery hoop from the outside section that has the metal adjuster on it. You will only be using the inner hoop for this project

  • Select one skein of yarn and securely tie the end of the yarn to one side of an embroidery hoop. Wrap the yarn across the hoop to the opposite side making sure to position the yarn across the middle of the hoop circle. Add a drop of hot glue to the outside of the hoop to secure the yarn. 



  • Continue wrapping the yarn over the hoop in even layers adding dots of hot glue to the outside of the hoop to secure the yarn. As you progress the yarn may begin to slide so be sure to hold the yarn into the hot glue until the glue cools. 



  • Once you reach the bottom of the hoop run a bead of hot glue along the wood and weave the yarn over the glue to hide any exposed wood on the hoop. Snit the end of the yarn with scissors and glue any pieces of yarn down so it lays flat. Go back to the starting spot and tuck the tail of the yarn into the hoop so it isn't visible. 


  • Repeat these steps for the remainder of the hoops. 

After I had finished wrapping the hoops with yarn I laid them all out on the floor and arranged them in the pattern I liked. Once I was satisfied with the placement of the hoops I hot-glued them together. Since they are quite light I wasn't worried about the weight of them pulling the hoops apart when it was hanging on the wall. 

I tried this project with a thinner yarn but in the end, I really liked the thick chunky yarn best. The thick yarn gave the project more texture and I love the flecks of color in the thicker yarn. Of course, you can use whatever yarn, twine, or thin rope you have on hand to keep the cost down!




I'm really happy with how this project turned out! Not only did it cost a small fraction of what I had shopped for online but I got to choose all the colors for the yarn that would look best in my room.



Here are some more great DIY projects you might enjoy -






What project have you been working on lately? Do you have any great DIY ideas - share your ideas in the comments!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated! Thanks for your suggestions, questions and feedback.