This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure here.
Ultimate Pancake Recipe
2 cups all purpose flour (sifted)
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until slightly lumpy (don't over stir).
Pre-heat the griddle to medium high heat. Drop a pat of butter into the skillet and once melted spoon 1/4 cup of pancake batter onto the hot griddle. When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes, flip them over to brown the other side. A minute or two should do it. Repeat the process for the remaining batter - don't forget to melt more butter in the skillet between batches.
Want to take your pancakes to the next level? Try adding some mix-ins to the pancake batter. Here are some great ideas to really dress up those plain pancakes.
1. Chocolate ChipsSprinkle mini-chocolate chips onto the pancakes after you spoon the batter into the griddle. Yummy!
2. Banana + WalnutsSlice a banana into think slices and put the slices onto the pancake after you pour the batter into the griddle. Sprinkle some chopped walnuts over the bananas - instant banana bread pancakes.
3. Peanut Butter PancakesAfter you flip the pancakes in the griddle smear a little peanut butter of the top side that is cooked. The peanut butter will begin to melt into a perfect pancake topping as the underside of the pancake finishes cooking.
4. BlueberriesFrozen or fresh - it doesn't matter! Sprinkle blueberries onto the pancake after pouring a spoonful of batter into the griddle. If you use frozen you may have to let the pancake cook for a few seconds more than if you use raw.
5. Oatmeal + RaisinsAdd 1/4 cup of instant oatmeal to the pancake batter then after you spoon some batter onto the griddle sprinkle a few raisins over the pancake. The oatmeal gives the pancake a new texture and the raisins become sweeter when cooked.
6. Apples + CinnamonSlice an apple into think chunks (skin on or off - your preference) and then sprinkle an additional 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon over the apples. After you spoon the pancakes into the hot griddle add a small spoonful of the apple/cinnamon mix.
7. Dried Cranberries + Flax SeedThe combination of the sweet from the cranberries and nutty flavor of the flax seed is a great compliment when sprinkled onto a pancake that has just been spooned into a hot griddle. The flax seed also gives the pancake a little crunch which is a great treat in the morning.
8. Strawberries + PecansSlice a few strawberries thinly and chop up some pecans into small pieces. After spooning the pancakes into the griddle add the strawberries and pecans to the pancake. Maple syrup drizzled over the top is a perfect compliment to this concoction.
9. BaconUse cooked and crumbled bacon and sprinkle it generously over the pancake as the first side of the pancake fries in the hot griddle. Butter + Bacon + Pancake = DELICIOUS!!
10. Butterscotch ChipsSame idea as the chocolate chips but use butterscotch chips instead. This mix in is so good with the buttery flavor of the pancake!
Alright, there you have it - the ultimate pancake recipe + 10 mix-ins to make your pancakes out of this world good!
Are there any special toppings you enjoy or mix-ins you and your family love? Share them by leaving a comment!